Saturday, April 11, 2015

A Passion for Photography


Long Sands, York, Maine - Cal Shook
Be Aware – Listen to Your Life – Part 1

“Your life, though a mystery, is trying to tell you something. Are you listening?”  Jeff Goins

It’s Thanksgiving, the food is on the table and we’re ready to eat.  Dad grabs his camera.  We groan.  He carefully moves around the dining room table, as he makes adjustments on his camera. 
“Everyone look at me and smile,” he says. With a few re-positions, a little more prodding and several clicks later; he’s captured that Norman Rockwell moment he was looking for.

No matter where we went or what we did, Dad would bring out his camera.  As technology made the shooting quicker, the grumbling lessened and the shots became more candid.  

A family favorite of his pictures is one taken of a small animal while on vacation.    We were camping when Dad decided he was going to lure a chipmunk onto a peanut can.  The stage was set with at least one peanut on the rim of the can.  Lying on his stomach he waited patiently in the brush.  He emerged after what seemed like several hours later with success. 
Squirrel on a Peanut Can - Jerry Landry
My turn came on the Christmas I received my first camera.  With a quick lesson from Dad on how to use it, I was ready to go.  From the moment I laid my hands on it, I was enchanted. Today I am still mesmerized by what’s in front of me as I moved into position frame the shot, focus and shoot.  Excitement wells up inside me.  It’s like a massive treasure hunt in God’s beautiful creation:  capturing moments as they unfold in front of me.   Now I’m feeling what I could see on my Dad’s face as he handled his camera.

Photos capture memories – the joy and the hardship.  They can be mood makers or mood breakers. They can lift us up or bring us down.  What a wonderful gift my dad shared, his love of photography.  My passion for Photography is one of the mysteries of my life. 

What are you hearing from the mystery of your life?

Next steps:
Listening to Your Life podcast with “The Art of Work”  author Jeff Goins.
Check back next week for part 2: “Exploring the Writer Within.”
View more photos on Instagram: @calshook.

No comments:

Post a Comment